Thursday, July 3, 2008

Minimix: The reason I haven't posted in a week and a half...

I'm back from the family beach trip, which was a delightful mess of competitive tubing and aggressive drinking, long days out on a boat and long evenings playing beach games, family sing-alongs and incredible food.  It would be unfair to say I'm the oddball of the family, because it's so obvious we've got the same blood--we're loud, boisterous, active, always talking and socializing and enjoying each other.  My indie-hipster leanings are somewhat the exception.  The cousins gather together with a deck of cards and a cooler of Summer Beer and listen to Rihanna and other top 40 until five AM hits and we've got enough energy left to walk nextdoor and sleep until noon.  The whole family gets out the banjo, or the guitar if there's not one around, and sings "Margaritaville" and "Bitin' My Fingernails" and even all seven-and-a-half minutes of "American Pie".


With only about thirty of us at the beach this year, we weren't as big of a group as usual, but with aunts, uncles, grandparents, boyfriends, in-laws, cousins, second cousins, great-grandchildren... we're a crowd.

So after that wonderful exhaustion, I came home and immediately packed up the minivan and began the move to my new house!!!!! which I couldn't be more excited about.  It's old as hell and covered in ivy and KA fraternity brothers lived in it last year and left us a keg and a bunch of beer and a hole in the ceiling and I love it.  My closet is larger than the kitchen of the last place I lived.  I'm just completely ecstatic about being there.

But, the move has kept me busy (since I've also been working 830-5) and the point of that whole spiel was that I have not posted because I have been out of town and moving.

Also, I won't be able to do my show this week because I'll be in Wisconsin for a wedding, and the week after that I'll be in Chicago for Pitchfork!  So, my deepest apologies.  This week I've got a kickass sub, Brandon Spencer from Nashville Mixtapes, so check him out and see what you think.  I'm not sure about the week after that, but I'll let you know.

In the meantime, to make up for it, here's a minimix of songs loosely related to what I've been doing this week.  Enjoy!

The Spinto Band, "Brown Boxes"
Arcade Fire, "Neighborhood #2"
Beach House, "Home Again"

No comments:

Disclaimer

The music here is intended for sampling purposes only.  If you like what you hear, buy the album, see a show, pick up some merch, go out and support your local music scene!  

If you're one of the musicians/managers/labels are sure you want something here taken down, email me at antennastoheaven.wrvu AT gmail.com and I will remove it as soon as possible.