Thursday, March 6, 2008

Chicago Shopping Music

Gotta love Chicago.  I've been here since Tuesday night, doing job interviews and wandering around alone, and was joined this evening by my sister to help her tour colleges and see the town.  If you care to read my personal escapades, feel free to head over to my livejournal, but I was thrilled today to hear both The Magnetic Fields' Distortion and Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks' Real Emotional Trash while shopping around.  Classic.


My real musical excitement of the trip, however, was singing "Rocky Top" and all eight minutes and twenty-nine seconds of Don McLean's "American Pie" down at Blue Frog last night.  Three cheers for Jim Beam!

Real Emotional Trash is currently streaming on Stephen's myspace if you want to sample before you buy.  Came out this Tuesday, and I'll be picking up my copy just as soon as I get back in Nashville.  I like to keep my money local as much as possible.

Also, catch Stephen on 3.25 with John Vanderslice at The Mercy Lounge for a mere fifteen bucks.  Tickets are currently onsale at Grimey's (cash only!), and will be eighteen bucks the night of the show.  The Mercy's tough to sell out, but you'll want to be there early for a decent spot most likely.  

It's also worth mentioning that there's a super cheap party/show happening at the new Local Honey tomorrow if you're in Nashville.  Sisters, Muggabears, & Wizardz (members of Meemaw and Jeff) are playing at seven pm for five bucks.  Local Honey's moved from its former home above Grimeys to 1207 Linden Avenue, right off of 12th Avenue before you reach Mafioza's if you're coming from Wedgewood.  Aside from Local Honey being a really cool place to shop for vintage (mostly if you're a size two though.... anything above size six is hit or miss) they've been supporting local music and art more and more and making it easier for lesser known local bands to get the audience they deserve.  Consider it a half houseparty, since Local Honey's in a former house anyway.  Should be a great early evening event.

I'm sick about missing the show tomorrow, but so it goes.  See you all back in Nashville on Sunday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Getting off work @ 4pm just wasn't the same, but the Local Honey show made up for it. Muggabears gets my vote for best in show.

Disclaimer

The music here is intended for sampling purposes only.  If you like what you hear, buy the album, see a show, pick up some merch, go out and support your local music scene!  

If you're one of the musicians/managers/labels are sure you want something here taken down, email me at antennastoheaven.wrvu AT gmail.com and I will remove it as soon as possible.