Thursday, February 14, 2008

Minimix: We should be whispering all the time.

I've been moved by the posts of other bloggers to put up my own Valentine's reminiscing.  I've only had one true Valentine's date ever, last year, and we got in a fight.  So that was darling.  In high school though, my very best friend, Taylor Hutchison, snuck into my house and brought me roses one year.  That was by far the best Valentine's day I've had.


I'm not one of those that's deathly against it though.  I was rather apathetic about the whole deal for a long time.  This year, I'll be spending this evening working at the Nashville Ballet, backstage with a slew of codpieces and dog collars and near-naked gay men.  Delightful.

So below, are songs kinda sorta about love or something approximating it, and for mostly my pleasure, some of my favorite lines from each.  Enjoy!

Also, don't forget, we've got Amy LaVere in the station tomorrow at 4:30 before her show at The Basement with Those Darlins--sure to be a good one.  Amy's absolutely incredible, a really stunning person, and extremely talented, so if I don't have time for a post later on today, make sure to tune in tomorrow from 4-6pm!

Devendra Banhart, "The Body Breaks" from Rejoicing in the Hands
"The body burns, yeah the body burns strong, until mine is with yours then mine will burn on.  My flesh sings out, it sings 'come put me out.'"

The Magnetic Fields, "100,000 Fireflies" from Distant Plastic Trees
"Why do we keep shrieking, when we mean soft things?  We should be whispering all the time."

Cinerama, "Your Charms" from Cinerama Holiday
"I just can't think clearly when I'm in your arms, and my heart is pounding..how pathetic is this sounding?"

Of Montreal, "Everything Disappears" from Cherry Peel
"Birds have no heads when you come around.  Everything loses its legs when you come around."

No comments:

Disclaimer

The music here is intended for sampling purposes only.  If you like what you hear, buy the album, see a show, pick up some merch, go out and support your local music scene!  

If you're one of the musicians/managers/labels are sure you want something here taken down, email me at antennastoheaven.wrvu AT gmail.com and I will remove it as soon as possible.