Friday, January 25, 2008

Lylas returns from the undead! Also, tune in tomorrow!

!!! 


Nashville lovelies Lylas, who I had all but given up on, have been covertly recording a record to be released this year, entitled Do You Believe in Blood?  New songs are up on their myspace, and they're playing a show (the first Nashville one in how long?) next month with Evangelicals and Headlights over at The End.  (February 17th!  Be there!)

I've had a soft spot for these boys ever since they came on my show back when it was just a baby, charmed me, I kinda sorta fell in love, and then they sealed the deal by dedicating "The Virgin Annie" to me at a couple of shows.  Plus, I run into Luke everywhere I go in Nashville, and Kyle every time I leave Nashville.  Our paths are intertwined.  

2006's Lessons for Lovers was a dark merry-go-round of whimsy and morbidity, skeletons in smocked dresses and poets drunk on poison and moonshine.  The cover art says it all:  four full-skirted, coloring-book dancers, twirling circles around their decapitated partners.  Just when Kyle starts to creep into the realm of the sweet, he reminds you that Lylas is not here to write you a love song.  At least, not the one you're thinking of.  My one complaint:  at a cool thirty-five minutes, sixteen songs, six of which are two minutes or under, Lessons never really reads like an album, but more like a collection.  The non-filler songs are delightful in their own right, whether the sinister "No Seance for Sweetheart", the eerie, orchestral "Teenage Phantasm", or of course, my favorite, the dreamer's ballad, "The Virgin Annie."

This next album offers a chance for the Lylas boys to step up to the plate and make the complete album their music's been calling for.  Do away with the thirty-second interludes.  Don't worry about themes.  Tell us the whole story, the poignant bits and pieces that have been building up.  Unveil!

The boys are also looking for a label to release this album, so if you're a label sort or know some label sorts, shoot an email their way or my way and I can pass it along.

Below are two songs from last time they came in the station, one of which looks to become the title track for this year's album!  I'm gonna try to get them in again this spring if possible.  (Also, look to the right for all the currently in-the-works in-stations coming up--Amanda Shires, Amy LaVere, Nite Nite, Meemaw, Caitlin Rose, more to come!)  Enjoy!

LYLAS on Antennas to Heaven:

Also, tune in tomorrow for lots of excitement:
-Wilco ticket giveaways!  (see below)
-Fiery Furnace ticket giveaways!  (see below)
-meet my trainee Anna, who is almost definitely cooler than I am.
-listen to all the sweet music you can hear tomorrow night at The End!

Last week was also one of the first weeks ever that I've been able to fulfill all my requests, so I'm gonna try to keep at up!  321-ROCK, 422-ROCK, 615 area code, wrvuradio on AIM.  See you there.

No comments:

Disclaimer

The music here is intended for sampling purposes only.  If you like what you hear, buy the album, see a show, pick up some merch, go out and support your local music scene!  

If you're one of the musicians/managers/labels are sure you want something here taken down, email me at antennastoheaven.wrvu AT gmail.com and I will remove it as soon as possible.