Thursday, January 31, 2008

This week: Amanda Shires, Fiery Furnaces Tickets, and I'm going crazy.

Sorry I've been somewhat absent this week, but it's been one of those weeks of all the bad kinds of mania:


1) My wallet was stolen this weekend.  The thief spent forty dollars at Krystal and thirty dollars at Dollar General.  Things that I would not do with a stolen credit card: by forty tiny hamburgers.
2) I requested a new voter registration card so I could vote early (for Obama!) today, and they sent my mother a new voter registration card instead.  Thanks, Tennessee government!  Job well done!
3) I slept three and a half hours Monday night in preparation for a test on Tuesday afternoon, then received an email saying the test was cancelled, then received an email saying the test wasn't cancelled, then failed the test.
4) It took seven days for the transcript I requested to make the journey from one building on campus to another building on campus where I could pick it up.  I'm really curious as to what it did with its six-day vacation.

But all those things aside, it's almost the weekend, and there's a lot worth getting excited about.

Upcoming on the show tomorrow, I'll be giving away two guest list passes to the Fiery Furnaces show on 2/6 at 
Exit/In, because in all the madness of last weekend I forgot that I actually had four spots to give away.  So all of last week's callers, you're still in luck!  Tune in this week for a second chance.  

More importantly, this week kicks off the killer lineup of guests I've got coming into the station this spring.  If you were in the crowd of hipsters and cowboys and bros (Lucero fans are so damn weird) who caught Cory Branan and Ben Nichols at the Mercy last fall (and GOD if you weren't, you missed out), you may remember the denim-skirted, cowgirl-booted brunette onstage with the boys, all but stealing the show.  That woman is the extremely talented Amanda Shires.  You might know her as Pearl from the Thrift Store Cowboys, who she still plays with, but in 2005 she took her fiddle-playing solo with Being Brave, and she's been playing a bunch of shows with A Band of Men lately around town.  Tomorrow night she plays my favorite East Nashville haunt, the Foobar, and she'll be coming into the radioshow around 4:30 tomorrow, so tune in for a preview.  Amanda's been playing since she was a kid, and she's got that pure southern atmosphere about her that carries over into her songs, honest and classic in that realm of true southern country that's best heard with a few drinks and a few friends.  It'll be perfect for Foobar, which loves its ear-blowing rock and roll shows but has been begging for something a little more refined.  Plus, no cover!  So come by, have a few drinks, say hello, meet Amanda (you'll fall in love.  I promise.), and I'll see you there.  Show starts at 8pm.  

No comments:

Disclaimer

The music here is intended for sampling purposes only.  If you like what you hear, buy the album, see a show, pick up some merch, go out and support your local music scene!  

If you're one of the musicians/managers/labels are sure you want something here taken down, email me at antennastoheaven.wrvu AT gmail.com and I will remove it as soon as possible.